Fun fact: Hawaiian pizza does not actually come from Hawaii. It’s from Canada. Reason Number 2837 why everybody loves Canada.
Remember how I talked in my last post about how pizza dough is superior to pizza? I may have lied. Don’t get me wrong, pizza dough is great, but it’s not pizza great. How do you beat this gooey cheesy mess piled on top of a spicy barbecue base, topped with crispy bacon and tangy peppers?
Well, I guess you could argue that this wouldn’t be anything without the crispy golden crust that it’s piled on top of. Did I mention that I stuffed the crust with MOZZARELLA CHEESE?! Pizza dough-3 Pizza-1
Yes, you may worship me now. Stuffed crust has always been a weakness of mine, and I just could not resist the urge to sneak a few pieces of mozzarella into the crust of this delectable masterpiece. I would definitely recommend this homemade pizza dough recipe I stuck at the bottom of this page that uses yeast, but you could totally go for this recipe that doesn’t use yeast, or just buy the dough if you’re not feeling up to the whole kneading and mixing and proofing that comes from dough making. But if there is one thing I can guarantee you, it’s that there is no pizza like a homemade pizza. And that is a guarantee.
BBQ Hawaiian Pizza with Cheesy Bites
1 pizzacrust, homemade from this recipe or store-bought
1/3 cup tomato/marinara sauce
3 tbsps barbecue sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp of your favourite chilli sauce (optional)
Garlic butter brush:
4 tbsp melted butter
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, diced into small cubes (you should get between 12 and 15)
2 rashers bacon
2 thin slices of pineapple, diced into cubes
1/8 red pepper + 1/8 green pepper, diced
1 tbsp of your favourite barbecue/chilli sauce (optional)
2 tbsp grated parmesan (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 225 degrees Celsius, you are going to want to make sure your oven is HOT when the pizza goes in. Heat a skillet on high heat and fry the bacon until crispy, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and tear into small pieces using your hands.
2.Roll out your pizza dough until its diameter is about 12 inches and the shape vaguely resembles a circle (I struggle to get the PERFECT circle)
3. Place a piece of mozzarella cheese close to the edge of the pizza and pull the dough over the cheese and tuck it in so that the cheese is hidden. Repeat along the whole circumference until you have something that looks a little like this:
4. Combine the ingredients for the garlic butter brush in a small bowl, and using a pastry brush, carefully apply the garlic butter to the whole of the pizza, paying special attention to the crust.
5. Add the ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl and spread the sauce over the inner circle. Top with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, distribute the diced pineapple, crumbled bacon and diced peppers. If you’d like, you can drizzle some barbecue/chilli sauce over the base at this stage before topping with the other half cup of mozzarella cheese. If you feel like being fancy, you can sprinkle the grated parmesan carefully over the crust.
6. Bake the pizza in the hot oven for 15 minutes, or until the crust is a deep golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Serve and ENJOY
You can never go wrong with serving this 😉