Summer is coming.
Yes, I know, it’s been a while. A bit too long if you ask me, but I swear it’s a funny story. So my camera ran out of battery. And I couldn’t find the cable. Okay, maybe not so funny, but there’s no need for you to be so cold (haha).
Did you know that you can make your own ice cream, at home, without a machine, with just 4 ingredients? No joke. And I’m the type of guy that plays April Fools Day jokes right until the end of the month.
And this has to be mentioned, because you guys have to know, this ice cream is SOFT SERVE. That means, it doesn’t give you the kind of ice cream that’s a lot more ice than it is cream, if you know what I mean? Also, this recipe doesn’t involve you freezing a banana. Don’t get me wrong, that is probably a way more convenient way to make ice cream, but I HATE bananas. More than anything on this planet. Bananas are my sworn enemy. We will never be friends.
Instead, this recipe uses condensed milk, fresh cream, vanilla essence, strawberry syrup and cream cheese. And if you’re not keen, you can totally leave the strawberry syrup and cream cheese out and still end up with killer ice cream. And this is amazingly simple! Just whip your ingredients together, stick them in the fridge for 4 hours, and you’re done! Didn’t even have to work up a sweat.
Strawberry Cheesecake No Churn Ice cream
2 cups fresh cream
1 8 oz tin of plain cream cheese
1 14 oz can of condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 packet of Marie biscuits, crushed
2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped into pieces
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup of water
1 tsp lemon rind
1 tbsp cornflour
Make strawberry syrup:
- Add the strawberries, water and sugar to a medium saucepan, and heat over medium low until the mixture boils, about 10 minutes.
- When boiled, reduce heat before adding in lemon rind. Dissolve the cornflour with 2 tbsp of cold water and add to the saucepan. Stir until mixture has thickened. At this point, you can choose if you want to strain the strawberries or keep them in the mixture. Pour the syrup into a bowl and refrigerate until cooled, about 15 minutes
Make ice cream:
- In a small bowl, whip cream using a handheld electric whisk until stiff peaks form, between 7 and 10 minutes. Scrape the whipped cream into a larger bowl.
- Using the same small bowl from before, whisk the cream cheese until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the condensed milk and vanilla essence and mix until combined. Carefully add the cream cheese mixture into the larger bowl and fold into the whipped cream. Stir until everything is combined, be careful because the cream cheese mixture tends to sink to the bottom!
- In a loaf pan, pour half of the cream mixture into the pan, and pour half of the strawberry syrup in, using a toothpick to swirl as soon as it hits the mixture (it tends to sink the bottom). Distribute the crushed Marie biscuits over the ice cream. Layer with the rest of the ice cream mixture, and pour and swirl the remaining strawberry syrup on top. Freeze for about 4 hours, or until the top is solid. Serve and enjoy!